An Englishman known as R. Warburton came to South Australia and became a commissioner of the Police Ð he carried out extensive explorations in the centre of Australia.
R. Warburton took up the Erldunda lease in approx 1881 and built the original homestead on the present site of Erldunda. He brought cattle in, survived the crash in the early banking days and a long drought.
He endured these early trials and later the management passed on to his grandson Peter Warburton. Peter sold Erldunda Station in 1920 to Sid Stanes Snr whom had come from Hamilton Downs Station. Erldunda ran cattle and successfully bred and sold horses for the remounts for India and the deserts of the Middle East.
The present owners, the Kilgariff family, purchased Erldunda Station in 1987. It is noted that in over 112 years there have only been 3 owners of Erldunda Station.