The Bay of Fires is a bay on the northeastern coast, extending from Binalong Bay to Eddystone Point. The bay was given its name in 1773 by Captain Tobias Furneaux who saw the fires of Aboriginal people on the beaches.
The Bay of Fires is a region of white beaches, blue water and orange-hued granite (the color of which is actually produced by a lichen). The northern section of the bay is part of Mount William National Park; the southern end is a conservation area. A wide range of activities can be pursued in the Bay of Fires area, including camping, beach activities, boating, bird watching, fishing, swimming, surfing and walking.