Whitsunday Island is the largest island in the Whitsunday group of islands located off the coast of Central Queensland. The island contains many popular destinations for both day visitors and overnight sailors, including the magnificent pure-white sands of Whitehaven Beach and Hill Inlet, the secure anchorage of Cid Harbour, and the sheltered waterway of Gulnare Inlet.
The island is accessible by boat from the mainland tourist ports of Airlie Beach and Shute Harbour.
Captain James Cook named the island in early June 1770. This island should not be confused with Pinaki in the Tuamotu group which was named "Whitsunday Island" by Samuel Wallis in 1767.
Whitsunday Island covers 27,508 ha (275.08 km2) in area.
Around the northern bays of the island are seagrass beds which support a diverse range of marine life and Rock-wallabies are found on the island.