Watarrka (Kings Canyon)
The Kings Canyon is part of the Watarrka National Park in NT. Sitting at the western end of the George Gill Range, it is 323 km southwest of Alice Springs and 1,316 km south of Darwin.
The walls of Kings Canyon are over 100 metres high, with Kings Creek at the bottom. Part of the gorge is a sacred Aboriginal site and visitors are discouraged from walking off the walking tracks.
Three walks exists at Kings Canyon. The 2 km (return) and approximately 1 hour Kings Creek Walk traces the bottom of the gorge. At the end of the walk is a platform, with views of the canyon walls above. The 6 km (loop) and 3-4 hour Kings Canyon Rim Walk traces the top of the canyon. A steep climb at the beginning of the walk, which locals call "Heartbreak Hill" (or "Heart Attack Hill", due to its steepness), takes visitors up to the top, with spectacular views of the gorge below and of the surrounding landscape. About half way during the walk, a detour descends to Garden of Eden, a permanent waterhole surrounded by lush plant life. The last half of the walk passes through a large maze of weathered sandstonedomes, reminiscent of the Bungle Bungle. A slow descent brings the visitor back to the starting point. The loop can also be done in reverse (anti-clockwise), but the National Park Rangers encourage visitors to walk in one direction.
The 22 km Giles Track connects Kings Canyon to Kathleen Springs and is popular with more adventurous hikers.
- 3 Day Cockatoo Dreaming Red Centre Safari
- 5 Day 4WD Uluru Red Centre Kangaroo Dreaming Safari
- 10 Day Red Centre & Top End Crocodile Rock Adventure Safari
- 6 Day Central Australian Photographic Tour
- 10 Day Top End and Red Centre Crocodile Rock Adventure
- 10 Day Top End & Red Centre - Classic Wayoutback Wanderer Safari
- 3 Day 4WD Uluru, Kata Tjuta & Kings Canyon 4WD Eco Experience
- 3 Day Goanna Dreaming Red Centre 4WD Safari
- 4 Day 4WD Uluru Red Centre Wallaby Dreaming Safari
- 7 Day Red Centre & Top End Rock to Top Adventure
- 10 Day Red Centre & Top End Wayoutback Wanderer Safari